Tuesday 17 December 2013

FLOWER REFUSES TO COMMIT TO ENGLAND FUTURE

Former Zimbabwe captain, now England coach Andy Flower refused to comment on his future following the loss of the Ashes series in Australia.  A third successive win saw Australia take the urn for the first time since 2007, with two matches still to play. 

"We have Two tests and I am hungry to do well in those," Flower said. "That's as far as I am looking at the moment. We need to decide whether we're merely focusing on these two games or looking further and exposing other players but we haven't had those meetings yet." 

England had won three successive Ashes series under Flower, who was appointed full-time team director in 2009. The 45-year-old Zimbabwean said no rash decisions would be made and added: "I want to meet with our coaches, I need to meet with [England captain] Alastair Cook. I need to meet with the selectors as well and we'll get some clarity on those issues. I'm always very hungry to deliver my best as part of the England cricket group, and that hunger does not dissipate at all." 

England head to Melbourne for the Boxing Day Test at the MCG with supporters fearing a repeat of the 2006-07 series in which they were whitewashed 5-0 during the reign of Duncan Fletcher.
Following that series Fletcher continued in the role before resigning after the 2007 World Cup when England finished fifth in the Super Eight phase and were unable to qualify for the semi-finals. 

Flower added: "My desire now is to prepare this team for Melbourne and [the final Test starting on 3 January in] Sydney and ensure we are competing to win those Test matches.
"I don't really want to look too much further than that because I think my responsibility is to focus on those two games."

No comments:

Post a Comment